By Marinos Printezis/ email@example.com
Panathinaikos’ media day for Euroleague was in progress when we asked from Derwin Kitchen to discuss with us about his new reality, after he has been with his new team for over a month. He talked about where… we can see him on the court, apart from guard positions and where he sees himself and his new teammates at the end of the season.
- How do you feel as a member of Panathinaikos, after playing your first pre season games with your new team?
“I love it, man. It’s a big dream for me, which came true: to play for this big club. One of the best teams in Europe. A team that knows a lot about how to take trophies. To be a leader. So it’s a big step for me and i am very glad to be here. My first days it’s been fun, but we have also a lot of work”.
- Τhe six stars on your jersey put pressure on you?
“(laugh) I know where Ι came to play. There is no pressure on the team or me, as an individual. We have to go outside to give our best in every game. We have confidence”.
- You’ve just came back from a strong tournament, where you played against Red Star and Barcelona. What you brought back with you from Sofia?
“We did a lot of good things, but also things that we have to improve to be better as a team. Of course we have to improve some things with our defense and our offense. Don’t forget, we are a team with a many new players and it’s only natural we will need some time to show who we are”
- You are a shooting guard but at Sofia you played also as a point guard, since Diamantidis and Ukic weren’t there. Are we going to see you running the team again?
“I am a guard. This is my job. I can play with the same confidence as a point guard and as a shooting guard, but i know that my main role is at the “two” position. Of course, I will play where my coach needs me to play. If he wants to use me as… a small forward, I will do that to”
- Do you agree that one of most important things in order for this team to succeed, is for everyone of you to know exactly his role?
“Yes! This is a huge factor. A really important thing. For example, I know for myself I have to play defense, offense, to pass the ball and give energy to the team. I am a team player”
- Your coach told us that even you have too many new players, Panathinaikos’ philosophy will stay the same.
“It’s a fact that a lot of players left the team. That doesn’t mean Panathinaikos’ DNA will change. We have to walk on the same philosophy”.
- Do you ask Diamantidis and Tsartsaris about anything you need to know, as they are the captains and the only ones who are there for so many years?
“They are really excellent players with a lot of experience. When Ι have time, Ι will go to ask them some things about the team (laugh)”.
- Last season Panathinaikos lost the Greek League’s trophy, after a successful decade. Is this your main goal, to reach again the top?
“That’s the main goal. To take every trophy there is out there”.