Βy Nikos Varlas/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting to the spots 70 to 61 means that things get really serious. Most of our picks at this point are proven players who can be the leaders of their teams. If you want to review our previous pick, you can see them here: 100-91, 90-81, 80-71.
We repeat once more the five criteria which were used in this ranking.
1. Player’s value: The overall appraisal of each player on the court. His playing skills, his leadership ability, his quality as a unit not depending on the team he is currently playing.
2. Playing role: The importance of each player for his team, not only in the past but also in projection for the upcoming season. It’s an important aspect of our rankings, because that’s how players who are leaders in lesser teams are entering the top100 and quality players in loaded roster are being left out.
3. Team value: It’s the third most important criterion. Specially in Europe the team matters, because of the financial and quality differences, you can predict very accurately in most cases how far they can go in the season and their potential in the league.
4. Individual potential: That has to do only with the possible ceiling of each player. How much they can evolve and get near the top, depending their current state, their talent and their age.
5. The numbers: Each player’s stats, not only from past seasons, but also his possible performance in the upcoming season. As you can understand, it’s a part speculative criterion and that’s why it’s our last priority, because the way the game is played in Europe, this is something very related to the quality of each team and the role each player has .
He had a solid regular season in Euroleague and some great games in the Legabasket finals. Those games gave him the chance at Olympiacos. He is a worker, his game starts from defense and rebounds and he will have the chance to improve his offensive numbers in a good pick and roll team. This can be a landmark season for his career.
#69 Κostas Kaimakoglou 1983 2m.04 F Unics Kazan
He returns to Euroleague and his all around game is the glue between the back court and the front line of Unics. He is a very competitive players and he is above average in every part of his game. He will be a key player for the season of Unics.
He has quality, experience and his playing style can make useful in many different line ups. His minutes will be a question, having players like Weems and Khryapa in the roster, but he can be a factor, providing quality minutes in a title contender.
He returned to Europe in order to get back what he was missing in the NBA. A pivotal role in his team, many minutes and plays designed for him. He has all the potential and a good set of skills. We expect impressive numbers from him, but the ceiling of Laboral Kutxa one more season seems to be the Top16.
He is expected to be a leader in his new team. He is much more than a shooter, he can contribute everywhere and he is entering his prime. The big bet for him will be to help Galatasaray do something better than expected in the league.
He was impressive in some games of his first season in Euroleague and the challenge for him playing alongside Diamantidis is huge. He can do a lot of things on the court and the most crucial things for him individually will be to improve his three point shot and his creation.
His seasons in Anadolu Efes were a failure, but now he is getting an other big chance. He will have a dominant role in this Panathinaikos roster, it will be natural for him to have a career season and the question is if he can lead the time to big things as the starting center.
His role during his two seasons in Madrid in a roster loaded with stars was much difference to the one he had in Cedevita and his numbers naturally dropped. Ivkovic picked him because he is a great defender, a good passer and a team player. To that he will have to add offensive production and efficiency.
#62 Orlando Johnson 1989 1m.96 G Laboral Kutxa
He is a similar case and a similar player to Marshon Brooks. He came to Europe in order to play more and get a better value as a player. What’s different is that Johnson will have a much more pivotal role in Vitoria. It will be interested to monitor his adaption and his contribution to the team, besides scoring.
This will be his first big chance to demonstrate his skills in Euroleague, after last season’s presence with EA7 Milano. The move to Siena helped him a lot and the running style of Maccabi‘s game is also expected to benefit him. He is also a player who seems ready for a break out season.
For the 60-51 picks, click here.