By Nikos Varlas/ firstname.lastname@example.org
The countdown of the 100 best Euroleague players continues and at this point every player we pick would be wanted by any Euroleague team and they are expected to be key factors in the upcoming season. That means it’s even more difficult to pick their order. Click here to see the previous installments of the countdown: 100-91, 90-81, 80-71, 70-61.
Read once again by the order of their significance to our choice the five criteria of the Top100
1. Player’s value: The overall appraisal of each player on the court. His playing skills, his leadership ability, his quality as a unit not depending on the team he is currently playing.
2. Playing role: The importance of each player for his team, not only in the past but also in projection for the upcoming season. It’s an important aspect of our rankings, because that’s how players who are leaders in lesser teams are entering the top100 and quality players in loaded roster are being left out.
3. Team value: It’s the third most important criterion. Specially in Europe the team matters, because of the financial and quality differences, you can predict very accurately in most cases how far they can go in the season and their potential in the league.
4. Individual potential: That has to do only with the possible ceiling of each player. How much they can evolve and get near the top, depending their current state, their talent and their age.
5. The numbers: Each player’s stats, not only from past seasons, but also his possible performance in the upcoming season. As you can understand, it’s a part speculative criterion and that’s why it’s our last priority, because the way the game is played in Europe, this is something very related to the quality of each team and the role each player has .
This is his big chance for a break out season. After last season’s Euroleague experience we expect him to be even more effective and the key for that will be to improve his long range shooting. Until now in the preseason, he seems a lot better in this aspect of his game, so he is a really intriguing player.
He could be even higher, but in the loaded back court of his team, he has a very specific role. When something goes wrong for the starters, or when the team needs a “hot” hand from the bench, Fridzon will be entering the court.
#58 D’Or Fischer 1981 2m.11 C Unics Kazan
He proved to be the key player in Euroleague’s qualifying round and he seems to be in a great shape. Coach Pedoulakis’ system demands those kind of players, he is the only who fits the type in Unics and that’s why he is important and he will be productive.
He is the definition of a fighter on the court, he can do a bit of everything and he will “die” for his team. Scoring, defending, rebounding, diving for a lose ball, giving energy. He would probably be higher in the list, if Real Madrid didn’t have so many option in his position.
#56 Jaycee Carroll 1983 1m.88 G Real Madrid
He is one of best sharp shooters in the league and a capable scorer. During last season his injury made him take a step back, but this time he is healthy and he can provide the extra scoring punch his team needs in order to get to the final goal, winning the Euroleague.
#55 Alex Abrines 1993 1m.97 F Barcelona
An offensive race horse, a great athlete and a player with much potential. After losing Papanikolaou to Houston Rockets, Abrines will have much room to operate in Barcelona and a chance to be a part of the elite players in the league, by being consistent and produce better numbers. This season can be his break out party.
Ηe is the definition of team player, he is great defender, rebounder and a capable shooter. Despite being 33 years old, he is still a great athlete and in Olympiacos he will have a bigger role than the one he had in Real Madrid.
Ηe is one of the most reliable pure point guards in the league and he will be the partner of Spanoulis in the starting five. A dedicated defender, a good passer with a reliable outside shot. He is not a leader, but he is a great asset.
#52 James White 1982 2m.01 F Unics Kazan
He was always an explosive player, but during the Euroleague qualifying round he also proved his maturity and a great understanding of his role in a quality unit. He is the only pure small forward in Kazan, so get ready for a great season.
The most important summer transfer for Red Star and also for ABA Liga. He can kill every defense, if he gets his rhythm and one of the players we love to watch getting hot. He would be higher in the list, if his game had more consistency, something lacking specially from last season.