By Eurohoops team / firstname.lastname@example.org
7DAYS EuroCup announced Monday the 24 teams to compete for the 2020-21 season, with new entries from Bursaspor and Bahcesehir, after the departures of Tofas and Galatasaray, as well as Fraport Skyliners from the German BBL and JL Bourg from the French Jeep Elite.
Per EuroCup’s announcement:
The EuroCup Board met remotely on Monday, June 15, to review the evolution of the competition and take decisions on the 2020-21 season.
The meeting started with Euroleague Basketball executives providing attendees with data from the unfinished 2019-20 season. Until it was suspended on March 12 and subsequently cancelled on May 25, the 7DAYS EuroCup was broadcasted to a record number of 127 countries and territories around the world, with the offering being completed by the EuroLeague TV OTT platform, delivering the excitement of the games to every corner of the world. Social Media channels also registered considerable growth, with a 91% platform increase compared to 2018-19.
With regards to the 2020-21 season, Board Members:
– Received an update regarding the Financial Stability & Fair Play regulations for teams in the competition commencing 2021-22. The regulations, which have been in place in the Turkish Airlines EuroLeague since 2015-16 will be strengthened progressively in the following seasons. In its first season, the regulations include setting a minimum budget for participation; a maximum ratio of player salaries versus total expenses; limitations on shareholder contributions and accumulated financial deficit, amongst others .
– Approved the proposed modifications of the bylaws, which include new or modified regulations regarding game scheduling, game operations, safety and security, marketing, ticketing and communications .
– Approved the draft 2020-21 & 2021-22 season calendars:
• The 2020-21 Regular Season will be held from September 30 to December 16 2020.
• The Top 16 from December 30 2020 to February 3, 2021
• The Quarterfinals from March 2 to March 10, 2021
• The Semifinals from March 16 to March 24, 2021
• The Finals from April 6 to April 14, 2021
-Approved the team list for the 2020-21 season, taking as reference the provisional domestic league standings at time of the 2019-20 season suspension in March 2020. As previously announced, the eight teams who had qualified for the 2019-20 Quarterfinals have been assigned a reserved spot.
The final approved list of teams is:
• AS Monaco
• Bahcesehir College Istanbul
• Buducnost VOLI Podgorica
• Cedevita Olimpija Ljubljana
• Fraport Skyliners Frankfurt
• Frutti Extra Bursaspor
• Germani Brescia Leonessa
• Herbalife Gran Canaria
• JL Bourg
• Joventut Badalona
• Lietkabelis Panevezys
• Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar
• Maccabi Rishon LeZion
• Metropolitans 92 Levallois
• MoraBanc Andorra
• Nanterre 92
• Partizan NIS Belgrade
• Promitheas Patras
• ratiopharm Ulm
• Telenet Giants Antwerp
• Umana Reyer Venice
• Unicaja Malaga
• UNICS Kazan
• Virtus Segafredo Bologna
The decisions taken will be brought to the ECA Shareholders Meeting in July for formal approval.
The 2020-21 7DAYS EuroCup draw will be held on Friday, July 10, 2020, and available via Euroleague Basketball ‘s social media platforms.