By Eurohoops team/ email@example.com
The Italian Basketball Federation announced that national team head coach Romeo Sacchetti extended his contract for two more years. Italy sealed a 2019 World Cup ticker and a return to the competition for the first time since 2006 by routing Hungary Friday (22/2).
“The decision was taken before the qualification,” Federation president Gianni Petrucci said. “I have great confidence in Meo and in the work he has done so far with the team. The immediate goal is the World Cup in China but our attention is also focused on the Olympic Games and EuroBasket 2021 which we hope to be happy.”
Sacchetti mentioned: “Needless to say, I’m happy. As I’ve said before. we have created a pleasant environment in the ‘Azzurri’, one of mutual respect with everyone, from players to staff. We want to play our cards in the World Cup to the best of our ability.”
Sachetti took over the helm of the Italian national team in 2017. He succeeded Ettore Messina who coached the team in the 2017 EuroBasket.