By Eurohoops team/ email@example.com
After today’s general assembly of the French National Basketball League (LNB) the following press release was issued. According to the text, the French clubs are not renouncing Euroleague or Eurocup, unless FIBA finds a way to prevail Eurocup from being held next season. Despite the presence of FIBA secretary general, Patrick Baumann, the French league is keeping all its options open.
The press release is the following: “The General Assembly of the French National Basketball League met in Paris this morning with Patrick Baumann, Secretary General of FIBA, and Jean-Pierre Siutat, President of the French Basketball Federation who have or share with Presidents of French clubs.
The General Assembly ratified the decision of the executive committee from the 29th of February 2016 to approve the equity participation of the LNB within the company which will manage sportingly and commercially the “Basketball Champions League.”
In addition, the following motion regarding the position of the LNB and its attitude following the possible scenarios was submitted to the General Assembly. It was approved by a large majority of voters.
Note that the position of the LNB has the support of the French basketball federation (FFBB) and the Ministry of Sports
MOTION OF THE NATIONAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE
LNB believes the calendar with windows for national team games is likely to weaken clubs championships (very complicated calendar). It was bad that FIBA was not consulted with anyone on this subject.
Τhe league received the position of the FFBB about the participation LNB clubs in competitions organized by the Euroleague early in the season but was surprised to be the only league to have had this “privilege”.
POSITION TOWARDS EUROLEAGUE
The clubs which will be “accepted” there, they will play in the championship of France but under the conditions set by the executive committee. The clubs would be excluded from the LNB if they did not release players for the national teams.
If Strasbourg wins the Eurocup, it must play in Euroleague
– In the hierarchy of interests of clubs, the championship of France is the most important to the business and sports model.
– The League must be supplemented by two levels of European championships compatible but sportingly accessible to those who are the best in their league
– The League has based all its action on the fact that the ECA Eurocup could not exist (as promised by FIBA and FFBB).
– The league asks FIBA: What are you doing and what are you waiting in order to act and show who’s boss in basketball? Today everyone does whatever they want (Italy / ECA / Russian / Spanish / )
If FIBA is now taking firm and coercive positions towards the Federations and prevents the launch of the Eurocup as presented:
– Will not accept its clubs to individually engage in the Eurocup
If the Eurocup exists:
– Will not accept the best of its club to be considered the 41th in Europe: LNB wants a ranking at least in the 17th position.
– Will decide, then, with the clubs and the FFBB, which will be the best competition for France, according to the known composition of the Eurocup in order to chose and negotiate the choice of clubs with ECA (according to the league results of France)
– Or the league will act like Italy (free decision by the clubs); However it build its calendar for the best of the championships in France”.
Photo credit: LNB.fr