By Nikos Varlas/ email@example.com
A deadline until Friday was given to Nick Calathes by Panathinaikos in order “to sign” with the Greens, there’s optimism in Athens about signing their top summer target, however things are still complicated. Eurohoops shades some light to this puzzling negotiation, which is still hot and very much alive. Calathes seems to be the only player for whom many top Euroleague teams are willing to spend big money, considering him capable of changing the balance of powers in the old continent and here are the facts about his situation so far.
- The player has informed Memphis about his wish to return to Europe and leave the NBA after his rookie season in the States.
- He can’t do much more, as his contract includes a team renewal option which expires on the 15th of July.
- Until then, or earlier, Memphis can decide either to keep him, or release him. His future is not on his hands, however no one wants to keep an unhappy player on the bench.
- Calathes has four offers on the table from Europe. There’s Panathinaikos, but also CSKA Moscow, Fenerbahce and Anadolu Efes.
- CSKA Moscow and Fenerbahce/ Ulker consider him the cornerstone on their future plans and they are willing to overbid any other offer in order to get him, including the 7.5 m. US dollars offered in total by Panathinaikos for a three years contract. Anadolu Efes on the other hand after already adding some important players on its roster, doesn’t seem that willing to overbid other offers. That explains their official denial of interest.
So it’s obvious that Calathes can’t control his destiny. However if he is finally released by Memphis, his old team, Panathinaikos, will have to give a great fight and make an exceptional financial transgression in order to sign him. And if the Greens manage to get him, it will be the biggest summer signing in Europe.