By Eurohoops team/ firstname.lastname@example.org
With Euroleague’s top 16 coming to an end this week, five teams are still fighting for the last two spots in the playoffs. As this is top 16’s last round, under the current format, the moment is, without a doubt, historic.
In group E, four teams have already qualified, with Fenerbahce having claimed the first place and Crvena Zvezda the fourth one, respectively. So, what remains to be seen is whether Lokomotiv Kuban or Panathinaikos will finish second in the group.
In group F, CSKA Moscow and Laboral Kutxa have already secured their place in the playoffs, along with the home court advantage, with both teams now trying to finish first.
Four matches are set to take place on Thursday and four on Friday, with the playoffs starting next week. Through Eurohoops’ Euroleague Game Center, you can watch all matches Live and Play by Play.
Game of the week: Real Madrid vs Khimki (April 7, 20.45 CET)
The match in Madrid is extremely important for both teams, as it will determine whether the Spaniards or the Russians will qualify to the playoffs.
During the regular season, Khimki prevailed twice over their opponents, however the defending champions managed to escape from Moscow with a big victory in top 16’s seventh round. All bets are off in that game, between two squads that are very talented offensively and very effective in the run’n’gun playing style.
Real Madrid have a slight advantage, as they play at home, but the visitors are fully capable of earning the victory and eliminating the defending champions.
Thursday, April 7
Zalgiris Kaunas vs Barcelona (18.45 CET)
Brose Baskets vs Laboral Kutxa (20.00 CET)
Friday, April 8
Cedevita vs Crvena Zvezda (19.00 CET)
Darussafaka vs Lokomotiv Kuban (19.00 CET)
Things you need to know
* Juan Carlos Navarro needs four more three-pointers to become the first player that will have hit 1.500 three-point shots. He has scored 568 times from beyond the arc, having a 38% percentage in three-point shooting during his 15-year career.
* Giannis Bourousis shoots the three ball better when plays at home (19/41, 46.3%), than when he plays on the road (5/24, 20.8%).
* Felipe Reyes needs three more points in the Index system to become the first player, who will have collected 3.000 points.
* Alexey Shved has scored in double figures in 15 of Khimki’s 16 last games.
* Vassilis Spanoulis needs 33 points to become the second player in the competition’s history (behind Navarro), who will have scored 3.000 points.
* Milos Teodosic needs three three-pointers to tie Jaka Lakovic in the third place in Euroleague’s all time three-point scoring list. The Serbian guard has hit 378 three-point shots until now.