By John Askounis/ email@example.com
Anadolu Efes extending its winning streak and maintaining top spot in the standings with a road win against Turkish rival Fenerbahce Beko was the main theme of EuroLeague Regular Season Round 13. The first-ever away victory versus Fener in Europe’s premier club competition was powered by our MVP of the week.
The well-experienced swingman needed a bounce-back performance, delivered in time for the Istanbul derby. Krunoslav Simon wasn’t in top form lately, but went for a game-high 22 points leading Anadolu Efes past Fenerbahce Beko. The 34-year-old Croatian fell one board shy from a double-double, dished four helpers and added a pair of steals on his impressive line.
Eurohoops Best Five
1. Scottie Wilbekin: Guided Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv to its third consecutive “W” with 22 points and nine assists against CSKA Moscow.
2. Nik Stauskas: His EuroLeague personal-highs of 22 points and 22 PIR got the job done for KIROLBET Baskonia at the Stark Arena.
3. Krunoslav Simon: Our MVP of the week scored 22 points as well.
4. Nikola Mirotic: Another solid performance brought FC Barcelona 23 points en route for the home victory opposite to Panathinaikos OPAP.
5. Devin Booker: Losing streak no more for Khimki Moscow Region as the Clemson alum overpowers ALBA Berlin’s bigs with a 24-point, 10-rebound double-double.
Coach of the week: Jaume Ponsarnau
Despite Zalgiris Kaunas’ struggles, prevailing at the Zalgirio Arena can not be considered an easy task. Steered by Jaume Ponsarnau, Valencia was the sixth team to best the team coached by Sarunas Jasikevicius at Lithuania this season. The Spanish club started its 2019-20 campaign at 1-6, but has been 4-2 since for an overall 5-8 record. Much of the credit goes to the 48-year-old head coach.
The big issue: Milan going the wrong way
Early November saw AX Armani Exchange Milan on a six-game winning streak and an overall 6-1 W-L tally. Forward about one month, Ettore Messina’s squad stands at 7-6. Not the best of times at the Italian club with streaking Real Madrid up next in the front end of a double-game week. Dropping out of the playoffs zone might be in its near future.
Photo Credit: Getty Images